Join Our Team
What makes working at MSU Bookstore so rewarding?
Its simple: Our students make MSU Bookstore so rewarding. MSU Bookstore is owned by the students and faculty of MSU. Working at MSU Bookstore allows you to have an impact on the price of course materials. As a student, working at YOUR store allows you to shape the direction of MSU Bookstore through product selection, merchandising, and elevating the customer experience.
What can the Bookstore do for you as an employee?
MSU Bookstore allows for flexible schedules to work well with your classes. We provide leadership opportunities, internships, and discounts (some exceptions apply) throughout the store for our student employees.
Course Materials Assistant Manager
The Course Materials Assistant Manager assists the Course Materials Manager in leading the course materials department and its staff. In this role, the Course Materials Assistant Manager maintains responsibility helping to drive the day-to-day operational direction for the department; including the Bobcat Book Reserve (our course materials reservation program), course materials receiving, rental programs, and implementing the yearly goals and objectives developed by the Course Materials Manager. The incumbent will be dynamic; having strong interpersonal skills, a desire to learn, educate, and embrace the mission of a not-for-profit, independent, cooperative bookstore.
In addition to driving department strategy, the Course Materials Assistant Manager assists with the course materials adoption process, returns, buyback, compliance, and all other facets of the course materials process in MSU Bookstore. This position oversees the Course Materials department in the absence of the Course Materials Manager and serves as the primary contact for customer relations and case management.
• Bachelor’s degree and 2 or more years’ progressive experience in a course materials department with full time and student staff, preferably in a large-store environment
• Commitment to the MSU Bookstore team and mission, and the ability to support the mission of MSU Bookstore and lead others in support of that mission
• A commitment to implementing industry best-practices at MSU Bookstore
• Ability to build partnerships both in-store and on-campus
• Strong communication skills with an emphasis on the ability to communicate the mission of MSU Bookstore to students, faculty, and staff
• Demonstrated understanding of the issues and opportunities facing institutions of higher education and the ability to communicate how MSU Bookstore can help faculty address those areas
• Ability to work independently in a high-stress, fast-paced environment, meeting required deadlines
• Demonstrated creativity and ability to rapidly adapt/anticipate changing market conditions
• Strong organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task
• Demonstrated knowledge of textbook reservations processes, ordering, and receiving
• Demonstrated knowledge of POS systems and textbook management software
• Understanding of textbook financial models, GAAP, profit and loss, and budgeting processes
• Understanding of non-traditional course materials models including e-books, rental (in-house or with multi-partner), inclusive access/LMS integration, OER, and securing copyright for digitizing, with a willingness to embrace and develop alternative models as the opportunity arises
• Knowledge of HEA as it applies to the course materials requirements on campus
• Ability to understand and create high-level sell-through, sales forecast, adoption timeline, and profitability reporting, and an understanding of rental accounting models
• Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
• Travel for 1-3 weeks per year for conferences and training
• Willingness to put team above self in all situations
• Familiarity with NetSuite and database platforms
• Knowledge/experience using VERBA tools
• Knowledge/experience using Redshelf
• Experience working in a 501(c3) non-profit corporation or Co-op
• Experience with various social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Commensurate with Experience
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org